It photographs like something out of a 1970’s Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but is a tasty meat-free “date night” entree.Serve with a baked potato or homemade fries, creamed spinach and a steakhouse style salad.
Leftovers make perfect sliced “steak” sandwiches!
- 6 oz silken tofu (1/2 box)
- 3/4 C water cold
- 1.5 T ketchup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1.5 T Braggs Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1/2 T steak sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp sage, powdered
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 2 T beef-style vegan bouillon
- 1.5 T cornmeal
- 1.5 C vital wheat gluten flour
- 3 C water, cold
- 3 T beef-style vegan bouillon
- 1.5 T oil
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Put all ingredients except gluten and cornmeal in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place gluten and cornmeal in a large bowl. Pour contents of blender in and mix together. Knead into a firm ball. You may need to add a little more gluten flour as you knead. Dough should be still soft but not sticky.
- Cover bowl and let sit for one hour.
- Dust counter with gluten flour, and roll out the dough. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out six “steaks”.
- In a large pot, mix the Simmer Broth ingredients.
- Place steaks into the cold broth, cover, and bring the contents to a slow simmer.Cook on low for about seventy-five minutes, turning occasionally.
- Allow steaks to cool about ten minutes, then place steaks and broth in a sealed container. To reheat later, put the steaks and the broth back in the pot and simmer just long enough to heat through.
- Serve with a spoonful of broth on top.
Share this Recipe
2 thoughts on “Vegan Filet Mignon”
I tried this recipe but I modified the spices a bit to my own taste and added more olive oil to give the steaks a fatter juicer taste and then pan seared them in olive oil salt pepper and some msg. One word…wow …this is an amazing recipe I can’t believe how meat like they are this really hit the spot as I crave red meat on a constant basis!
We made this for Valentines 2023…..WOW, Tender and delicious.