This soup can be made thick or thin and eaten for any meal of the day. It makes a warm, hardy breakfast on cold mornings!
- 1 Butternut squash
- 1 winter squash (Delicata is nice!)
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 3 Tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp nutmeg ground
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 5 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water or more, depending on desired consistancy
- 1 medium onion diced
- Split squash lengthwise. Oil with olive oil, + salt and pepper. Lay flesh side down, and roast at 400 degrees for one hour or till tender.
- Sweat onion in a large pot with extra virgin olive oil. Add garlic and ginger. Add roasted squash -skins and seeds removed, carrrot and spices. Cook for 10 minutes at medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Puree in small batches, adding water if it's too thick. Return to pot and simmer for 10 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
How to sweat an onion
- Dice the onions you want to sweat.
- Put a thin layer of olive oil in a pan on your stovetop.
- Add the onions to your pan and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook the onions over low heat on your stovetop.
- Stir the onions occasionally with your spatula. Place the lid back on the pan after you finish stirring.
- Continue to cook the onions over low heat until they are translucent and have a soft texture, which will indicate that the onions are done.
- Use your onions in the recipe.
Share this Recipe