Recipe shared with permission from www.strongertogether.coop
Find out more about your food system and where your food comes from at www.strongertogether.coop
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Russet potatoes diced (about 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 lb Butternut squash peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup apple diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 3/4 cup pearled barley rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onion and red pepper in the olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes; add the garlic and curry powder and sauté for one minute more.
- Add the barley and 3 cups of vegetable or chicken broth; bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, potatoes, butternut squash, apple, remaining broth, wine, salt, and pepper. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the barley is tender. Taste for salt before serving.
Share this Recipe