Full of whole grain goodness and protein packed egg whites, this frittata is perfect for Heart Health Awareness month.
adapted from NYT Cooking
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 3 large)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 C egg whites
- 2 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 C cooked Lundberg Wild Blend rice
- Heat oven to 350°F. Heat a 9" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add butter and oil and cook until bubbling. Add leek and sauté until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes or so more. Add thyme, salt and pepper, and cook for an additional minute. Stir in rice blend.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and half of the blue cheese. Add to the skillet and cook for about a minute more, using a rubber spatula to pull the edges away from the sides of the pan and tilting, to evenly distribute the egg whites. Sprinkle remaining blue cheese over the top of the frittata.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until the center of the frittata is firm (shake the pan gently to test for jiggles) and filly cooked, about 7 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Share this Recipe