This recipe borrowed from Scott Simmons who lives in the Columbia Gorge. Photo by Connie.
- 1 pound cherries, pitted
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons Chinese Five-Spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Place all of the ingredients into a large pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heart to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After 1 hour, remove the lid and continue simmering until the desired consistency has been reached.
- Cool down before storing in refrigerator or canning.
- Chill before serving!
Share this Recipe