Recipe borrowed with permission from www.strongertogether.coop
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 crisp, tart apples peeled and cored
- 3 tablespoons butter
Apple Cider-Cinammon Sauce
- 1 cup granulated unrefined sugar
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
For Pastry Dough
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your food processor, cut in the butter until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the milk until a soft dough is achieved.
- Form the dough into a square, about 1-inch thick and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out as directed.
For The Apple Dumplings and Sauce
- Combine the cranberries, hazelnuts and maple syrup and stuff the center of each apple with the mixture. Top each with a pat of butter.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/8-inch thick and cut into 6 squares, about 7 inches each. Place one apple in the center of each square and bring the corners up to meet in the middle. Crimp all the edges to seal well. Place the dumplings in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Place sugar, apple cider, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan and boil for 1 minute.
- Pour cider sauce over dumplings. Bake for about 1 hour, spooning sauce over dumplings once or twice during baking. Serve dumplings in dessert dishes with sauce spooned over.
Share this Recipe