Recipe borrowed with permission from www.strongertogether.coop where you can learn all about your food and where it comes from.
- 2 stalks of broccoli chopped
- 8 oz. fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 orange peeled and sliced
- Put on a pot of water for cooking the pasta. Cut broccoli florets from stalks, chop peeled stems and reserve. Heat the margarine or oil in a 4 quart saucepan, and add the garlic. When it starts to sizzle, remove from heat, add the flour and whisk to combine. Return to the heat and cook, whisking, for two minutes. As it cooks, combine the milk, yeast, and spices in a measuring cup and whisk to mix. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in about 1/4 of the milk mixture until smooth, add the milk in 1/4 cup increments, stirring until smooth each time, until all is incorporated. Whisk in non-dairy cheese, whisking constantly until smooth and thick. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Cook the fettuccine, add the broccoli to the pot for the last minute of cooking time. Cook until the fettuccine is al dente, and drain well.
- In a serving bowl, toss the pasta and warm sauce. Serve and garnish with minced herb, garnish.
If omitting the vegan mozzarella, add another tablespoon of flour to the roux. If desired, add another tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
For healthier options, look for vegan margarines or butters that do not contain hydrogenated oils.
Calories: 459, Fat: 22 g, Cholesterol: 41 mg, Sodium: 767 mg, Carbohydrate: 47 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 10 g
Share this Recipe