Recipe borrowed with permission from www.welcometothetable.coop
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 pound button or shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 no-sodium vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup extra-firm tofu diced
- 1/4 cup arame or hijiki seaweed soaked and drained
- 2-3 tablespoons red miso
- 4 scallions sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and mushrooms and sauté 3 minutes. Add ginger and sauté 2 minutes more, until onions and mushrooms are soft.
- Add water, bring to a boil, and add the bouillon cube. Simmer 5 minutes, or until dissolved. Remove a ladleful of broth to a small bowl.
- Dissolve the miso in the small bowl of broth. Add the miso mixture back into the soup pot, along with the tofu and arame or hijiki. Simmer 5 more minutes, being careful not to boil the liquid.
- Sprinkle scallions over the top before serving.
For a more delicate flavor, use a lighter-colored miso (like white miso). Because miso is salty, add it a little at a time, tasting as you go.
Share this Recipe