Recipe borrowed with permission from www.strongertogether.coop
- 3 bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 15 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- 12 corn tortillas
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. On a sheet pan, toss the pepper strips with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes, stirring halfway through, until peppers are tender and turning black on the edges. Remove from the oven.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes until soft. Add the spices, tomato paste, broth and beans and stir well; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the tacos, spoon some of the bean mixture and roasted peppers onto a tortilla, and sprinkle with cilantro and freshly squeezed lime juice. Top with sour cream or salsa, if desired.
Use small corn tortillas for a “street taco” appetizer-sized version of these zippy and satisfying tacos. When bell peppers are in season, be sure to make extra oven-roasted peppers to add to soups, stews, casseroles and sandwiches.
340 calories, 13 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 260 mg. sodium, 44 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber, 11 g. protein
Share this Recipe