Recipe borrowed with permission from www.strongertogether.coop where you can learn all about your food and where it comes from.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb carrots peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 small yellow onion sliced into thin half-moons
- 1/2 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 4 oz bamboo shoots
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed and sliced into 3-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Whisk the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the sesame and canola oils over medium high heat. Sauté the carrots and onions for 2 minutes, and then add the garlic, ginger and peppers and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots and asparagus and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until the asparagus is just beginning to get tender.
- Add sauce, toss well with the vegetables and heat through.
- Serve warm over steamed rice.
Create an Asian inspired meal by adding an exotic rice like Jasmine or Japonica, with green tea and ginger cookies or mango sorbet for dessert. The stir-fried vegetables make a great side dish for fish or ginger and tamari-marinated chicken, pork or tofu.
Calories: 117, Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 408 mg, Carbohydrate: 17 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 4 g
Share this Recipe